Friday, August 29, 2008

CLS

This week I went through the Army's Combat Life Saver Course. This is a week long medical training course which is designed to give wounded soldiers care in the "Golden Hour" between when they get hurt and cannot provide self aid, and the time it can take to get the soldier to a medic or field hospital. Current situations actually allow soldiers to get care in most situations very quickly, but the skills from this course still save lives.

We started out with evaluating a casualty and determining if anything can be done. Then we moved into CPR and Automated External Defibulators (AEDs). This was pretty cool, and was in addition to the normal CLS training. We were certified in CPR as well.

Next was more advanced versions of basic first aid- field dressings, tourniquets, pressure dressings, hemcon bandages, splints, and so forth. In addition to the Asher chest seal for a pneumothorax, we learnd how to perform a needle chest decompression for a tension pneumothorax. From there was transporting a casualty and filling out field medical cards.

The final event was training with IVs, and since there's no practice like actual experience, we actually practiced on each other. I stuck MSG Byrd on my first time, but I had some trouble with CPT Stone and popped through the vein a couple times. CPT Stone stuck me too, and we learned I have very small veins and am thus very difficult to get a vein. After the 4th try he decided to stick someone else so I didn't end up looking like a mummy.

All in all, it was some good training, and I'm glad I'm now a Combat Life Saver!

No comments: